Colva M. Roney-Dougal - Other
North British Geometric Group Theory SeminarThe next meeting will be in Glasgow in May 2017.
PopularisationI've done various bits and pieces of maths popularisation over the last few years. Here's a selection of stuff that is currently avilable online.
- In Our Time on Radio 4 with Melvynn Bragg, Maths in the early islamic world (broadcast February 2017).
- In Our Time on Radio 4 with Melvyn Bragg, ...e (broadcast September 2014).
- The Infinite Monkey Cage on Radio 4 with Brian Cox and Robin Ince, To Infinity and Beyond (broadcast December 2013).
- In Our Time on Radio 4 with Melvyn Bragg, Randomness and Pseudorandomness (broadcast 13th January 2011).
- Plus Magazine is an online maths magazine. My most recent essay for them (jointly written with Vince Vatter) is Of pancakes, mice and men.
- In Our Time on Radio 4 with Melyvn Bragg, Unintended consequences of mathematics (broadcast 11th Feb 2010).
- I turned a Radio 3 essay that I wronte into a Plus Magazine essay called Chaos, chance and money.
- In Our Time on Radio 4 with Melvyn Bragg, History of Probability (broadcast 29th May 2008)
- In Our Time on Radio 4 with Melvyn Bragg, Indian Maths (broadcast 14th December 2006)
- In Our Time on Radio 4 with Melvyn Bragg, Negative Numbers (broadcast 9th March 2006)
- Another Plus Magazine article: The power of groups
Royal Society Open Science
I'm on the editorial board of the Royal Society's completely free online journal, which covers all aspects of science, including mathematics. If you'd like to submit an article to the Royal Society Open Science journal, please follow the instructions on their website.
Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, Section A (Mathematics)
I'm an editor for these proceedings, covering group theory and computational algebra. If you'd like to submit an article, please follow the instructions here.
I'm currently the Director of Undergraduate Admissions for the School of Mathematics and Statistics, dealing with all Home (that's UK and EU) undergraduate applications. More information about applying to study maths at St Andrews is available here. If you've got any questions about applying to us, please do email me.
Staff Dining Club
We organise dinners, roughly once or twice a semester, for all staff at the University of St Andrews. The next one will hopefully be reasonably soon! The signup sheet is here.